PeeWee PC offers a very featured packed laptop designed for children. With 3 models available, the top of the line is the PeeWee Pivot 2.0 HR Tablet Laptop, which retails for $599.00 and offers a rotating Hi-Res touch screen, easily converting from a laptop with full keyboard to a tablet format with a stylus for touch screen or digital pen text input. Built on the Intel® Atom™ processor, the PeeWee Pivot PC is an Intel-powered Classmate PC which features durable, drop and spill resistant construction with a sturdy rubber case and removable carrying handle, 15 educational games and 2 security suites.
The other 2 models are the PeeWee Pivot 2.0 Tablet Laptop ($575.00) which does not have the high resolution screen and the PeeWee Power 2.0 Laptop ($449.00), which does not offer the pivoting screen, both still offer the super rugged, spillproof construction and educational software. All include a 1 year warranty and Lifetime support. Not only are these sturdy laptops built to stand up to life with a child, they are also packed with software that will keep your child engaged while learning. If you’re looking for a way to keep your child learning throughout that long summer break, this is a great option. All of the details are below and watch for our full review in the coming weeks. I’ll be testing out a sample with my 4 children shortly. Included below are all of the features, technical specifications for this model and included software.
Visit the PeeWee PC site for more details on this and the other 2 models.
Technical Specs for the PeeWee Pivot 2.0 HR Tablet Laptop :
- Microsoft® Windows 7 Starter and lots of other great software Pre-Installed - the PeeWee Pivot 2.0 PC is ready to go to work right out of the box!
- Dual mode of use tablet mode and traditional laptop mode adjusts to changing usage needs
- When open like a traditional laptop, the screen swivels 180 degrees for sharing with peers
- Touch screen & advanced palm-resting technology promote new models of interaction
- Allows for writing (with handwriting recognition) or drawing directly on the screen in a natural way
- Built-in camera rotates 180 degrees to enable users to interact in a new way
- Removable carrying handle, lightweight and compact size to support micro-mobility
- Durable construction; rugged outer case and water resistant keyboard
- Touch-optimized software
- Intel® Atom™ Processor N450 1.66GHz
- Intel 945GSE Chipset
CPU & PLATFORM
- Tablet Sensor: When switching from clamshell to tablet mode, display rotates 180-degrees
- Accelerometer: Display rotates as device is rotated
- Carrying handle is easily removable. Just remove the battery, remove the 4 screws that affix the handle, remove the handle and replace the battery.
- 160GB 1.8” PATA HDD
- 2-in-1 SD/MMC memory card reader
- Supports boot from card reader and USB
- USB 2.0 Interface for external storage. INPUT
- Water Resistant Physical Keyboard - when screen is rotated in clamshell mode
- Touch pad (Mouse)
- Touch Screen accepts handwriting recongnition and virtual on-screen keyboard
- 2 USB 2.0 Ports
- 1 x RJ-45 10/100 LAN
- 1/8” External Microphone-in jack
- 1/8” External headphone jack
- 2-in-1 SD/MMC memory card reader
- Kensington Lock Ready.
- VGA Port (15 Pin VGA)
- 1GB Standard (Upgradeable to 2GB)
- 10/100M Ethernet
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n with open mesh support (Linux Only)
- Mini-card form factor, single antenna
- Security: WPA, WPA-PSK, WPA2, WPA2-PSK
DIMENSIONS AND POWER
- Size: 10.5” (W) x 7.6” (H) x 1.2” (D)
- Weight: 3.7 lbs
- 6-cell Li lon Battery
- Battery life aprox 5hrs+ typical usage time
AUDIO, SPEAKER, MICROPHONE
- Integrated 2 channel audio w/ 1W speakers
- Built-in speaker and microphone
- 10.1’ Touch Screen
- 1366x768 Standard
- Integrated UMA Intel Graphics
- Integrated camera
- Integrated 1.3MP webcam which rotates 180 degrees to allow creative interaction
- Microsoft® Windows® 7 Starter - Installed
- Supports Linux (ETA April 2009)
- 1 Year Depot/Mail-in Parts and Labor Warranty
- Resisitive Touch Input
- Includes stylus/pen for resistive touch input
- Built-in accelerometer senses orientation and automatically switches screen between portrait and landscape modes
- Ruggedized: Tested with 50cm Drop Test
- Microsoft® Windows® 7 Starter - Pre-Installed
- Tablet Sensor Functionality: When switching from clamshell to tablet mode, display rotates 180-degrees
- Accelerometer Functionality: Display rotates as device is rotated
- Intel Quick Launcher
- Easy Network Manager
- Intel Power Manager
- Quick Control Panel
- Touch Screen Calibration
- Bailey’s Book House
- Sammy’s Science House
- Thinkin’ Things Toony The Loon’s Lagoon
- Trudy’s Time & Place House
- Millie’s Math House
- Early Elementary
- Mighty Math Carnival Countdown
- Zoombinis Island Odyssey
- Reader Rabbit 1st Grade: Capers on Cloud Nine
- Reader Rabbit 2nd Grade: Mis-cheese-ious Dreamship Adventures
- Typing Instructor for Kids Platinum
- Upper Elementary
- Thinkin’ Things Collection 3
- Mighty Math Calculating Crew
- The Oregon Trail 5th Edition
- Mighty Math Number Heroes
- Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?
- ArtRage is a fun and easy-to-use painting tool that lets you play with realistic paints on your computer. You can create your own paintings from nothing, load in photos, and recreate them with oil paints, pencils, felt pens, or any of the other tools ArtRage has to offer.
- Write naturally on your TabletPC or Graphic Tablet screen and MyScript Stylus Windows converts your handwriting into computer readable and exploitable text!MyScript Stylus Windows replaces your keyboard in applications requiring text entry. MyScript Stylus Windows transforms your handwriting into typed text and inserts it at the position of the cursor in the application you are working with (text editor, task manager, calendar, etc.). MyScript Stylus Windows is available in two language configurations (English and French) and understands both hand printed and cursive handwriting.MyScript Stylus not only provides handwriting and character recognition, it also provides a virtual on screen keyboard and math keyboard which accept input by taping on the screen (useful when the screen is folded into tablet mode and the keyboard is not available)
- FBReader is an e-book reader which supports several e-book formats including: fb2, html, chm, rtf, plucker etc.. Direct reading from zip, tar, gzip and bzip2 archives is also supported.
- Foxit reader is a very fast and efficient tool for opening, viewing, commenting and printing PDFs. Annotation tool: Foxit Reader allows you to draw graphics, highlight text, type text and make notes on a PDF document and then print out or save the annotated document. Save fillable forms after filling them out so you can continue anytime. Text converter: You may convert the whole PDF document into a simple text file. High security and privacy: Foxit Reader highly respects the security and privacy of users and will never connect to the Internet without users’ permission while other PDF readers often silently connect.
- ArcSoft WebCam Companion offers a broad range of applications designed and optimized for webcam use, whether utilized to record video or to take a special photo, ArcSoft WebCam Companion lets you get the most out of your netbook’s webcam.
- Evernote allows you to easily capture information in any environment using whatever device or platform you find most convenient, and makes this information accessible and searchable at any time, from anywhere.